Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Knit & Crochet Stitch Marker Tutorial

I've been wanting some knitting stitch markers for a long time. Since I go from knitting to crocheting frequently I figured why not make one with a clasp at one end and a ring at the other? These handy little markers can be clipped to crochet work or placed on a knitting needle very easily. 

All the items found below can be found at your local Hobby Lobby or craft store of choice. If you can't find them locally, there are many great online shops to order your materials from. Lucky for me, my mom used to be really in to making her own jewelry. Even luckier for me, she didn't do it for long, but she kept the giant tote packed full of her supplies. 
 What you'll need:
Eye pins- I used 2"
Jump rings- the size of this ring depends on the needle you plan to put it on
Beads- be creative, use what speaks to you!
Jewelry pliers- 2 pairs
Lobster clasps

I chose to make a set of 6.
After your supplies are gathered, decide how you want them to look and place the beads on the eye pins.
Carefully, but firmly bend your eye pin over by holding with one pair of pliers to the opposite end of the "eye" of your eye pin and twisting the wire with your other pliers.

Mine looked like this.

After this you take the tail end of your wire and wrap it around the base of the bottom bead. I apologize for not taking a photo of this- but I haven't mastered holding two small pairs of pliers and taking a photo at the same time!

Next you want to open your jump ring by carefully twisting it with your pliers. 

Loop the jump ring through the eye of your eye pin and twist it shut.


Repeat as many times as you want.

If you have any questions of comments please feel free to comment! I hope you enjoy making your very own stitch markers! I would love to see picture of your creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment