Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Continental Vs. European Knitting


There are two main different styles of knitting and each style has about a million variations to it. There really is no right or wrong way to knit. Recently, as in last evening, I decided to try and learn the Continental style of knitting as I have been doing the European style. 

Basically in European knitting your yarn is being "thrown" over by taking your right hand over the left hand needle (for righties of course). Continental knitting is where your yarn is kept in the left hand and basically pushed over your needle using a finger which is also known as "picking."


I am trying my hand at Continental as I said and I feel like I'm a beginner again. I feel like the movement is smoother, but working on teaching my hands to move in a new way is proving semi challenging. I'm hoping to get it down quickly and begin to knit in the Continental method soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment